Roasted chickpeas add protein, flavor, texture, and color to this simple salad.
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 red onion, thinly slivered
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Pat the chickpeas dry with a clean dishtowel. Toss the chickpeas right on a rimmed baking sheet with the olive oil, salt, paprika and pepper. Spread out in a single layer.
- Bake until they have turned lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes. They will firm up a bit as they cool, so do not overbake, or they will get too tough and hard – you want them to still be tender when they are room temperature. Taste and add more salt if needed. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, place the arugula and onion in a mixing bowl. Drizzle over the olive oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat the greens. Distribute between 6 small plates, and top with the chick peas.